What is a Portfolio
In TurboTrader, there are three concepts we make the distinction between:
- Your TurboTrader Account, which you use to login
- Your Trading Account(s), which determine the exchanges and pools of money you can trade with, and of which you can potentially have more than one
- Your Portfolio(s), which logically group your Holdings, contain trading settings, and manage your trading and reserve balances.
Many trading platforms will only give you one Portfolio per Trading Account, but TurboTrader lets you create as many Portfolios as you like, each with their own separate balances and configuration.
This makes it very easy to manage separate pools of money for different trading styles or sectors, and to see the performance of each Portfolio versus the others.
Use it to refine your trading strategies, or just make your account neatly organised - it's entirely up to you.
Note: TurboTrader currently offers Paper Trading only.
See Also: Trading Accounts for more information on the difference between a Portfolio and a Trading Account..
The Like List
The Like List is the first step in combining Live Searches and the Portfolio. The Like List combines hard and fast rules for display along with a scoring system that lets you combine many indicators to efficiently rank the market in terms of your own trading criteria.
For more information, visit the Like List page.
The Keep List
For more information, visit the Keep List page.
Creating a Portfolio
To create a Portfolio, visit the Trading Tab on the main website, taking you to the All Accounts Summary. From there, click the Create Portfolio button.
Enter a useful name for the new Portfolio up the top, give yourself a starting balance to work with, and select your initial Portfolio Automation settings. When you're satisfied, click Create to activate the new Portfolio for trading.
Trading with TurboTrader
To begin paper trading, visit either the Summary or Orders area for a Portfolio, and enter a stock code or name into the search box. This will take you to a page (shown right) where you can access the Classic Interface details for an Asset, place Bid or Ask Orders, and view your recent order history with this Asset.
Look to the Trading section of the View Asset page, where you will find a button to begin placing a Bid order on the market.
If you hold any shares in the selected Asset, you will also see a button to place an Ask order.
See Also: The Orders page for details on placing an Order on the market.
Managing your Portfolio
Under the Trading Tab, switch to the Manage area to perform any maintenance tasks on your Portfolio. From there, you can:
- Transfer Funds between the Trading and Reserve balances, or between the Portfolio and its Trading Account.
- Edit the configuration of the Portfolio, including renaming it, altering the Like List, Keep List and Portfolio Automation settings, and more.
- Reset the Portfolio, returning its trading settings to defaults.
- Delete the Portfolio returning all contained funds to the parent Trading Account.
With Paper Trading Portfolios, you can also:
- Clone the Portfolio, duplicating it exactly for you to safely experiment with.
- Clean the Portfolio, selling all holdings and cancelling all orders in preparation for deletion.
Portfolios and the Desktop Interface
The Portfolio is also available in a limited fashion from the Desktop Interface.
To access a Portfolio, you can click on the Portfolio icon on your Desktop Toolbar and select the Portfolio you wish to view. You can also drag a Portfolio from the drop-down menu onto a Live Session window containing an existing Live Search, WatchList or Portfolio Status.
Note: The integration between your Portfolios and the Desktop Interface will be improving in the coming months as TurboTrader continues to evolve.
See Also: Portfolio Status for more information.